cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tim Heckman <...@pagerduty.com>
Subject Re: Does nodetool repair stop the node to answer requests ?
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2015 18:57:33 GMT
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Jan <cnet62@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Running a  'nodetool repair'  will 'not'  bring the node down.

It's not something that happens during normal operation. If something
goes sideways, and the resource usage climbs, a repair can definitely
cripple a node.

> Your question:
> does a nodetool repair make the server stop serving requests, or does it
> just use a lot of ressources but still serves request
>
> Answer:     NO, the server will not stop serving requests.
> It will use some resources but not enough to affect the server serving
> requests.

I don't think this is right. I've personally seen repair operations
cause real bad things to happen to an entire Cassandra cluster. The
only mitigation was to shut that misbehaving node down and then normal
operations continued within the cluster.

> hope this helps
> Jan

Cheers!
-Tim