cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Wille <>
Subject Re: Cassandra taking snapshots automatically?
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 17:58:00 GMT
No. auto_snapshot is turned on, but not snapshot_before_compaction.

On Dec 3, 2014, at 10:30 AM, Eric Stevens <<>>

Do you  have snapshot_before_compaction enabled?

On Wed Dec 03 2014 at 10:25:12 AM Robert Wille <<>>
I built my first multi-node cluster and populated it with a bunch of data, and ran out of
space far more quickly than I expected. On one node, I ended up with 76 snapshots, consuming
a total of 220 GB of space. I only have 40 GB of data. It took several snapshots per hour,
sometimes within a minute of each other. I don’t know why it would have any snapshots at
all. I never consciously asked it to take a snapshot. I didn’t truncate or drop any CF’s
or keyspaces or make any schema changes, and certainly not 76 times.

Any idea what would have caused Cassandra to take all these snapshots, and how I can make
it stop?

Thanks in advance

View raw message