cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Svihla <>
Subject Re: Cassandra for Analytics?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:08:43 GMT
I'd argue the higher latency for reads than HBase, I'm not sure of what
experience you have with both, and that may have been true at one point,
but with Leveled Compaction Strategy and proper JVM tunings I'm not sure
how this is true, it would at least be comparable. I've worked with buffer
cached configured clusters where the 99th percentile read is sub 400

Spark and Cassandra when combined are a common fit and use case for real
time analytics and Ooyala has been doing this for some time. They're a
number of Youtube videos where they talk about it

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Ajay <> wrote:
> Hi,
> Can Cassandra be used or best fit for Real Time Analytics? I went through
> couple of benchmark between Cassandra Vs HBase (most of it was done 3 years
> ago) and it mentioned that Cassandra is designed for intensive writes and
> Cassandra has higher latency for reads than HBase. In our case, we will
> have writes and reads (but reads will be more say 40% writes and 60%
> reads). We are planning to use Spark as the in memory computation engine.
> Thanks
> Ajay

[image: datastax_logo.png] <>

Ryan Svihla

Solution Architect

[image: twitter.png] <> [image: linkedin.png]

DataStax is the fastest, most scalable distributed database technology,
delivering Apache Cassandra to the world’s most innovative enterprises.
Datastax is built to be agile, always-on, and predictably scalable to any
size. With more than 500 customers in 45 countries, DataStax is the
database technology and transactional backbone of choice for the worlds
most innovative companies such as Netflix, Adobe, Intuit, and eBay.

View raw message