cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <>
Subject Re: Questions about bootrapping and compactions during bootstrapping
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2014 19:59:02 GMT
On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Donald Smith <> wrote:

>  *Is it reasonable to do “nodetool disableautocompaction” on the
> bootstrapping node? Should that be the default???*

There's various current/recent JIRA about compaction vs. bootstrapping,
esp. wrt LCS compaction. Search JIRA.

>  If I start bootstrapping one node, it's not yet in the cluster but it
> decides which token ranges it owns and requests streams for that data.
> If  I then try to bootstrap a SECOND node concurrently, it will take over
> ownership of some token ranges from the first node. Will the first node
> then adjust what data it streams?

Are most directly on point.

tl;dr - It depends on whether your version has the fix for 2434 and what
"simultaneously" means. I would generally avoid it, but people have
simultaneously bootstrapped in a world with 2434 for 5 years now and in
practice they seem to prove what I call the "Coli Conjecture" :

"If you're storing your data in Cassandra, you probably don't actually care
about durability or consistency, even if you think you do."

View raw message