cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tim Heckman <...@pagerduty.com>
Subject Re: nodetool repair exception
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2014 19:48:54 GMT
On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Eric Stevens <mightye@gmail.com> wrote:
> The official recommendation is 100k:
> http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/install/installRecommendSettings.html
>
> I wonder if there's an advantage to this over unlimited if you're running
> servers which are dedicated to your Cassandra cluster (which you should be
> for anything production).

There is the potential to have monitoring systems, and other small
agents, running on systems in production. I could see this simply as a
stop-gap to prevent Cassandra from being able to starve the system of
free file descriptors. In theory, if there's not a proper watchdog on
your monitors this could prevent an issue from causing an alert.
However, just a potential advantage I could think of.

Cheers!
-Tim