cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CQL3 vs Thrift
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:04:00 GMT

In my bias opinion something else should replace CQL and it needs a proper rewrite on the
sever side.

I've studied the code and having written query parsers and planners, what is there today isn't
going to work long term.

Whatever replaced both thrift and CQL needs to provide 100% of the features that exist today

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 29, 2014, at 1:34 PM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Peter Lin <woolfel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm bias in favor of using both thrift and CQL3, though many people on the list probably
think I'm crazy.

> I don't think you're "crazy" but I do think you will ultimately face the deprecation
of thrift.

> Briefly, I disbelieve the idea that Cassandra can or would or should keep two incompatible,
non-pluggable APIs. I therefore assert that the Apache Cassandra team will not likely do this
unreasonable thing, and thrift will eventually be removed.