cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Plotnik, Alexey" <aplot...@rhonda.ru>
Subject Re[2]: Redundancy inside a cassandra node
Date Sat, 08 Nov 2014 12:31:26 GMT
Let me speak from my heart. I maintenance 200+TB Cassandra cluster. The problem is money. If
your IT people have a $$$ they can deploy Cassandra on super robust hardware with triple power
supply of course. But why then you need Cassandra? Only for scalability?

The idea of high available clusters is to get robustness from availability (not from hardware
reliability). More availability (more nodes) you have - more money you need to buy hardware.
Cassandra is the most high available system on the planet - it scaled horizontally to any
number of nodes. You have time series data, you can set replication factor > 3 if needed.

There is a concept of network topology in Cassandra - you can specify on which *failure domain*
(racks or independent power lines) your nodes installed on, and then replication will be computed
correspondingly to store replicas of a specified data on a different failure domains. The
same is for DC - there is a concept of data center in Cassandra topology, it knows about your
data centers.

You should think not about hardware but about your data model - is Cassandra applicable for
you domain? Thinks about queries to your data. Cassandra is actually a key value storage (documentation
says it's a column based storage, but it's just an CQL-abstraction over key and binary value,
nothing special except counters) so be very careful in designing your data model.

Anyway, let me answer your original question:
> what do people use in the real world in terms of node resiliancy when running a cassandra
cluster?

Nothing because Cassandra is high available system. They use SSDs if they need speed. They
do not use Raid10 on the node, they don't use dual power as well, because it's not cheap in
cluster of many nodes and have no sense because reliability is ensured by replication in large
clusters. Not sure about dual NICs, network reliability is ensured by distributing your cluster
across multiple data centers.

We're using single SSD and single HDD on each node (we symlink some CF folders to other disk).
SSD for CFs where we need low latency, HDD for binary data. If one of them fails, replication
save us and we have time to deploy new node and load data from replicas with Cassandra repair
feature back to original node. And we have no problem with it, node fail sometimes, but it
doesn't affect customers. That is.