cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Deduplicating data on a node (RF=1)
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:33:01 GMT
On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Alain Vandendorpe <alain@tapstream.com>
wrote:

> Rob - thanks for that, I was wondering whether either of those would
> successfully deduplicate the data. We were hypothesizing that a
> decommission would merely stream the duplicates out as well as though they
> were valid data - is this not the case?

That's a good question and actually your hypothesis is correct, so that is
not in fact a solution. D'oh! :D

After some discussion just now a colleague is suggesting we force them to
> L0[1] - would you agree this should be equivalent to option 2, albeit with
> downtime?

 Yes, I think your colleague's suggestion is the only possible LCS
equivalent of option 2.

Hopefully you are in a version in which it is easy to set the LCS level of
SSTables, and have plenty of spare iops..

=Rob