cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Russ Bradberry <rbradbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: random thought: rewrite Cassandra using Scala ?
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2014 00:48:00 GMT
I guess to answer that, you would need to first ask if it would be worth redoing the 4+ years
of development that has gone into Cassandra. There have been many discussions about porting
it to C/C++ and always is the same response; it's just not worth the rewrite for the incremental
gain. Also, since Scala is in the JVM, the gain would really only be syntactical sugar. This
is of course my own opinion.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 7:19 PM, Yang <teddyyyy123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I got introduced to Scala recently and found its features on Futures and Function composition
very neat.

> Cassandra utilizes Futures and essentially passing around functions (using anonymous
inner subclasses) a lot, if expressed in Scala , it could be much simpler and smoother. just
a random thought: would there be any value to rewrite the code in Scala?