cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jens-Uwe Mozdzen <>
Subject Re: Column family ID mismatch-Error on concurrent schema modifications
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:54:03 GMT
Hi Eric,

Zitat von Eric Stevens <>:
> Be careful with creating many dynamically created column families unless
> you're cleaning up old ones to keep the total number of CF's reasonable.
> Having many column families will increase memory pressure and reduce
> overall performance.

will "inactive" CFs be released from C*'s memory after i.e. a few days
or when under resource pressure? We do intend to have quite some
hundreds of tables, but with only 10% actively used (no reads nor
writes) after some time.

These CFs are used as "time buckets", but are to be kept for speedy
recovery. Of course, this design may be substituted by some external
backup mechanism, but I'd like to keep that as "plan C" ;)

Jens-U. Mozdzen                         voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
Postfach 61 03 15                       mobile  : +49-179-4 98 21 98
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  :

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983

View raw message