Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:43:11 +0200
Subject: Re: Commissioning failure
From: hkroger@gmail.com
To: user@cassandra.apache.org

Hi,

I think only LevelledCompactionStrategy makes sense on JBOD because that can distribute data more evenly. Although I don't know what is the exact strategy where each compaction strategy will store sstables. If you use SizeTieredCompactionStrategy you might run into problems when sstables get big enough. I think the theoretical maximum size for an STCS table is the half of one disk size. Because you might be able to run major compaction in that situation.

 I wouldn't actually use JBOD with anything else than LCS. With smaller tables it doesn't really matter that much but with big tables you would run into problem with anything else.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hannu

Thanks Rob.

We have disabled firewalls between the nodes and yet getting the same error.

I have one more doubt. In our cluster we configured size tiered compaction strategy on JBOD and we are facing issues like uneven distribution of data. Is it possible to change compaction strategy of tables with data? Which compaction strategy will be ideal for data directories in JBOD ?