cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Aravindan T <aravinda...@tcs.com>
Subject Cassandra Node Commissioning
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:38:42 GMT
Hi

We are facing several problems during commissioning of new nodes to the existing cluster.
The existing cluster(5 nodes) is holding data of 13 TB and daily 0.1 TB of data will be loaded.Ten days
back,we started adding 5 nodes. In the middle of the commissioning process, the bootstrap
process is getting failed many times, displaying an error STREAM FAILED in the new node and
BROKEN PIPE in the old node. Whenever we face this problem, we are restarting the new node.
Heare are the few questions about the node joining process.

1) Whenever we are restarting the node to join, will the bootstrap process resume or restart
from the begining? If so, should we wipe off the data directories and do a fresh restart.

2) How much time it might take to complete the node joining process.( Network bandwidth :1Gbps)
?

3) Can we add a node directly by setting auto_bootstrap to false and run a nodetool repair
in that node?

4) How to monitor the percentage of load balancing in each node?

5) Can we increase the streaming speed by using nodetool setstreamthroughput property? What
is the difference between stream_throughput_outbound_megabits_per_sec property in cassandra.yaml
file and nodetool setsreamthroughput property?

6) Can we scp some data from old nodes to new nodes and do a restart?

Regards,
Aravindan Thangavelu
and any attachments. Thank you