cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Sholes, Joshua" <Joshua_Sho...@cable.comcast.com>
Subject Re: Compact tables when offline
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 19:26:19 GMT
I thought setcompactionthroughput just adjusted the compaction speed when the server is online?
 I'm looking for something like a scrub (which as far as I know does not do this) that will
compat the tables appropriately while the Cassandra daemon is down.

And I know why I've got heap pressure--the cluster's data sources are growing faster than
the cluster is (and was designed for).   That's a somewhat longer-term fix involving new hardware,
I think.
--
Josh

From: Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com<mailto:rcoli@eventbrite.com>>
Date: Monday, October 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Compact tables when offline

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Sholes, Joshua <Joshua_Sholes@cable.comcast.com<mailto:Joshua_Sholes@cable.comcast.com>>
wrote:
My question is this:  Is there a command that I'm missing that I could use to force that node
to do compaction on those tables and clean up some of the thousands of 100-500byte tables
while Cassandra itself is offline?  I've got plenty of disk space so that's not an issue.

nodetool setcompactionthroughput 0

But if you have that many tiny files, you probably have serious heap pressure and are flushing
all the time and should figure out why.

=Rob
http://twitter.com/rcolidba