cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: validation compaction
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:46:52 GMT
On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:41 AM, S C <asf11@outlook.com> wrote:

> Bob,

Bob is my father's name. Unless you need a gastrointestinal consult, you
probably don't want to ask "Bob Coli" a question... ;P

> Default compression is Snappy compression and I have seen compression
> ranging between 2-4% (just as the doc says). I got the storage part. Does
> it mean that as a result of compaction/repair SSTables are decompressed? Is
> it the reason for CPU utilization spiking up a little?

Yes, compaction needs the values in SSTables, if those values are
compressed it needs to decompress them. Yes, it one of the reasons
compaction consumes noticable CPU.

=Rob
http://twitter.com/rcolidba