cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tim Heckman <>
Subject Repair/Compaction Completion Confirmation
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2014 20:33:18 GMT

I am looking to change how we trigger maintenance operations in our C*
clusters. The end goal is to schedule and run the jobs using a system that
is backed by Serf to handle the event propagation.

I know that when issuing some operations via nodetool, the command blocks
until the operation is finished. However, is there a way to reliably
determine whether or not the operation has finished without monitoring that
invocation of nodetool?

In other words, when I run 'nodetool repair' what is the best way to
reliably determine that the repair is finished without running something
equivalent to a 'pgrep' against the command I invoked? I am curious about
trying to do the same for major compactions too.

View raw message