cassandra-user mailing list archives

From S C <as...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: validation compaction
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 06:58:49 GMT
Thanks for the reply Rob.

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:46:52 -0700
Subject: Re: validation compaction
From: rcoli@eventbrite.com
To: user@cassandra.apache.org

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 6:41 AM, S C <asf11@outlook.com> wrote:

Bob,
Bob is my father's name. Unless you need a gastrointestinal consult, you probably don't want
to ask "Bob Coli" a question... ;P Default compression is Snappy compression and I have seen
compression ranging between 2-4% (just as the doc says). I got the storage part. Does it mean
that as a result of compaction/repair SSTables are decompressed? Is it the reason for CPU
utilization spiking up a little?
Yes, compaction needs the values in SSTables, if those values are compressed it needs to decompress
them. Yes, it one of the reasons compaction consumes noticable CPU.
=Robhttp://twitter.com/rcolidba