cassandra-user mailing list archives

From venkat sam <samvenkat...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: Commissioning failure
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2014 12:07:46 GMT

Yes Hannu, Initially for one month we didn't face any problem. But once tables got bigger
we are getting the disk space issues.

Can I change the compaction strategy. Will changing compaction strategy have an impact on
data consistency? Will it cause corruption of SSTable .

-Venkat
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:43:11 +0200
Subject: Re: Commissioning failure
From: hkroger@gmail.com
To: user@cassandra.apache.org

Hi,
I think only LevelledCompactionStrategy makes sense on JBOD because that can distribute data
more evenly. Although I don't know what is the exact strategy where each compaction strategy
will store sstables. If you use SizeTieredCompactionStrategy you might run into problems when
sstables get big enough. I think the theoretical maximum size for an STCS table is the half
of one disk size. Because you might be able to run major compaction in that situation.
 I wouldn't actually use JBOD with anything else than LCS. With smaller tables it doesn't
really matter that much but with big tables you would run into problem with anything else.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Hannu

Thanks Rob.

We have disabled firewalls between the nodes and yet getting the same error.

I have one more doubt. In our cluster we configured size tiered compaction strategy on JBOD
and we are facing issues like uneven distribution of data. Is it possible to change compaction
strategy of tables with data? Which compaction strategy will be ideal for data directories
in JBOD ?