cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Arthur Zubarev <arthur.zuba...@aol.com>
Subject Re: Indexes Fragmentation
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2014 01:03:56 GMT
Hello Rob,

    I now see I had misspelled the word tall for toll, anyways, if I    understood correctly,
your reply implies there is no impact    whatsoever and there is no need to defrug indexes
of the frequently    changing columns.

Am I right?

Thank you!

Regards,

Arthur

---- Original Message ----
From: Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com>
To: user <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Sent: Mon, Sep 29, 2014 8:01 pm
Subject: Re: Indexes Fragmentation

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Arthur Zubarev <arthur.zubarev@aol.com> wrote:
There are 200+ times more updates and 50x inserts than analytical loads.

In Cassandra to just be able to query (in CQL) on a column I have to have an index, the question
is what tall the fragmentation coming from the frequent updates and inserts has on a CF? Do
I also need to manually defrug?

You have appeared to have just asked if maintaing indexes which have a high rate of change
in a log structured database with immutable data files is likely to be more performant than
maintaining them in a database with modify-in-place semantics.

"No."

=Rob