cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Donald Smith <Donald.Sm...@audiencescience.com>
Subject Question about adding nodes incrementally to a new datacenter: wait til all hosts come up so they can learn the token ranges?
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2014 23:52:43 GMT
Suppose I create a new DC with 25 nodes. I have their IPs in cassandra-topology.properties.
 Twenty-three of the nodes start up, but two of the nodes fail to start.   If I start replicating
(via "nodetool rebuild") without those two nodes, then when those 2 nodes enter the DC the
distribution of tokens to vnodes will change and I'd need to rebuild or bootstrap, right?

In other words, it's better to wait til all nodes come up before we start replicating.  Does
this sound right?

I presume that all the nodes need to come up so it can learn the token ranges.

Thanks, Don

Donald A. Smith | Senior Software Engineer
P: 425.201.3900 x 3866
C: (206) 819-5965
F: (646) 443-2333
donalds@AudienceScience.com<mailto:donalds@AudienceScience.com>