cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Takenori Sato <ts...@cloudian.com>
Subject Re: A fix for those who suffer from GC storm by tombstones
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 22:14:12 GMT
DuyHi and Rob, Thanks for your feedbacks.

Yeah, that's exactly the point I found. Some may want to run read repair even on tombstones
as before, but others not like Rob and us.

Personally, I take read repaid as a nice to have feature, especially for tombstones, where
a regular repair is anyway enforced.

So with this fix, I expect that a user can choose a better, manageable risk as needed. The
good news is, the improvement for performance is significant!

- Takenori

iPhoneから送信

2014/10/08 3:18、Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> のメッセージ:

>> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM, DuyHai Doan <doanduyhai@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Read Repair belongs to the Anti-Entropy procedures to ensure that eventually, data
from all replicas do converge. Tombstones are data (deletion marker) so they need to be exchanged
between replicas. By skipping tombstone you prevent the data convergence with regard to deletion.

> Read repair is an optimization. I would probably just disable it in OP's case and rely
entirely on AES repair, because the 8303 approach makes read repair not actually repair in
some cases...