cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Hannu Kröger <hkro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commissioning failure
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:39:22 GMT
You can change it on the fly. That will just compact all the data that you have so it will
take a long time and cause some io load.

Hannu

> On 31.10.2014, at 14.07, venkat sam <samvenkatram@outlook.com> wrote:
>

> Yes Hannu, Initially for one month we didn't face any problem. But once tables got bigger
we are getting the disk space issues.

> Can I change the compaction strategy. Will changing compaction strategy have an impact
on data consistency? Will it cause corruption of SSTable .

> -Venkat
> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:43:11 +0200
> Subject: Re: Commissioning failure
> From: hkroger@gmail.com
> To: user@cassandra.apache.org
>
> Hi,
>
> I think only LevelledCompactionStrategy makes sense on JBOD because that can distribute
data more evenly. Although I don't know what is the exact strategy where each compaction strategy
will store sstables. If you use SizeTieredCompactionStrategy you might run into problems when
sstables get big enough. I think the theoretical maximum size for an STCS table is the half
of one disk size. Because you might be able to run major compaction in that situation.

>  I wouldn't actually use JBOD with anything else than LCS. With smaller tables it doesn't
really matter that much but with big tables you would run into problem with anything else.

> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Hannu

> Thanks Rob.
>
> We have disabled firewalls between the nodes and yet getting the same error.
>
> I have one more doubt. In our cluster we configured size tiered compaction strategy on
JBOD and we are facing issues like uneven distribution of data. Is it possible to change compaction
strategy of tables with data? Which compaction strategy will be ideal for data directories
in JBOD ?

> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:16:59 -0700
> Subject: Re: Commissioning failure
> From: rcoli@eventbrite.com
> To: user@cassandra.apache.org
>

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Aravindan T <aravindan.t@tcs.com> wrote:
> What could be the reasons for the stream error other than SSTABLE corruption?
>
> There's tons of reasons streams fail. Cassandra team is aware of how painful it makes
things, so they are working on them.