cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Michael Shuler <>
Subject Re: node keeps dying
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2014 20:53:09 GMT
On 09/24/2014 11:32 AM, Prem Yadav wrote:
> this is an issue that has happened a few times. We are using DSE 4.0

I believe this is Apache Cassandra 2.0.5, which is better info for this

> One of the Cassandra nodes is detected as dead by the opscenter even
> though I can see the process is up.
> the logs show heap space error:
>   INFO [RMI TCP Connection(18270)-] 2014-09-24 08:31:05,340
> (line 2538) Starting repair command #30766,
> repairing 1 ranges for keyspace <keyspace>
> ERROR [BatchlogTasks:1] 2014-09-24 08:48:54,780
> (line 196) Exception in thread Thread[BatchlogTasks:1,5,main]
>          at java.util.ArrayList.<init>(Unknown Source)

System environment and configuration modification details might be
helpful for others to give you advice. Searching for "cassandra oom"
gave me a few good links to read, and knowing some details about your
nodes might be really helpful. Additionally, CASSANDRA-7507 [0] suggests
that an OOM leaving the process running in an unclean state is not
desired, and the process should be killed.

Several of the search links provide details on how to capture and dig
around a heap dump to aid in troubleshooting.

Kind regards,

View raw message