cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: C 2.1
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:17:44 GMT
If you’re indexing and querying on that many columns (dozens, or more than a handful), consider
DSE/Solr, especially if you need to query on multiple columns in the same query.

-- Jack Krupansky

From: Robert Coli
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:07 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: C 2.1

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Ram N <yramiyer@gmail.com> wrote:

  Is 2.1 a production ready release?

https://engineering.eventbrite.com/what-version-of-cassandra-should-i-run/

       Datastax Java driver - I get too confused with CQL and the underlying storage model.
I am also not clear on the indexing structure of columns. Does CQL indexes create a separate
CF for the index table? How is it different from maintaining inverted index? Internally both
are the same? Does cql stmt to create index, creates a separate CF and has an atomic way of
updating/managing them? Which one is better to scale? (something like stargate-core or the
ones done by usergrid? or the CQL approach?)

New projects should use CQL. Access to underlying storage via Thrift is likely to eventually
be removed from Cassandra.

  On a separate note just curious if I have 1000's of columns in a given row and a fixed set
of indexed column  (say 30 - 50 columns) which approach should I be taking? Will cassandra
scale with these many indexed column? Are there any limits? How much of an impact do CQL indexes
create on the system? I am also not sure if these use cases are the right choice for cassandra
but would really appreciate any response on these. Thanks.

Use of the "Secondary Indexes" feature is generally an anti-pattern in Cassandra. 30-50 indexed
columns in a row sounds insane to me. However 30-50 column families into which one manually
denormalized does not sound too insane to me...

=Rob
http://twitter.com/rcolidba