cassandra-user mailing list archives

From James Briggs <>
Subject Re: C 2.1
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2014 07:30:54 GMT
Hi Ram.

1) As an Operations DBA, I consider all versions of Cassandra to be alpha.

So whether you pick 2.0.10 or 2.1.0 doesn't really matter since you
will have to do your own acceptance testing.

2) Data modelling is everything when it comes to a distributed database
like Cassandra. You can read my blog post which is a quick way to get
up to speed with CQL:

Notes on “Getting Started with Time Series Data Modeling” in Cassandra
Thanks, James Briggs
Cassandra/MySQL DBA. Available in San Jose area or remote.

 From: Ram N <>
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2014 3:49 PM
Subject: C 2.1

I am pretty new to cassandra (with just 2 weeks of playing around with it on and off) and
planning a fresh deployment with 2.1 release. The data-model is pretty simple for my use-case.
 Questions I have in mind are

Is 2.1 a production ready release?
Driver selection?
    I played around with Hector, Astyanax and Java driver?
     I don't see much activity happening on Hector,
     For Astyanax - Love the Fluent style of writing code and abstractions, recipes, pooling
     Datastax Java driver - I get too confused with CQL and the underlying storage model.
I am also not clear on the indexing structure of columns. Does CQL indexes create a separate
CF for the index table? How is it different from maintaining inverted index? Internally both
are the same? Does cql stmt to create index, creates a separate CF and has an atomic way of
updating/managing them? Which one is better to scale? (something like stargate-core or the
ones done by usergrid? or the CQL approach?)

On a separate note just curious if I have 1000's of columns in a given row and a fixed set
of indexed column  (say 30 - 50 columns) which approach should I be taking? Will cassandra
scale with these many indexed column? Are there any limits? How much of an impact do CQL indexes
create on the system? I am also not sure if these use cases are the right choice for cassandra
but would really appreciate any response on these. Thanks.

View raw message