cassandra-user mailing list archives

From graham sanderson <gra...@vast.com>
Subject Re: OOM(Java heap space) on start-up during commit log replaying
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 22:04:29 GMT
Agreed need more details; and just start by increasing heap because that may wells solve the
problem.

I have just observed (which makes sense when you think about it) while testing fix for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-7546,
that if you are replaying a commit log which has a high level of updates for the same partition
key, you can hit that issue - excess memory allocation under high contention for the same
partition key - (this might not cause OOM but will certainly massively tax GC and it sounds
like you don’t have a lot/any headroom).

On Aug 12, 2014, at 12:31 PM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM, jivko donev <jivko_d88@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We have a node with commit log director ~4G. During start-up of the node on commit log
replaying the used heap space is constantly growing ending with OOM error.

> The heap size and new heap size properties are - 1G and 256M. We are using the default
settings for commitlog_sync, commitlog_sync_period_in_ms and commitlog_segment_size_in_mb.

> What version of Cassandra?
>
> 1G is tiny for cassandra heap. There is a direct relationship between the data in the
commitlog and memtables and in the heap. You almost certainly need more heap or less commitlog.