cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Latest 2.1 and Datastax driver questions...
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 17:34:11 GMT
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith <
belliottsmith@datastax.com> wrote:

> The "run versions >= x.x.6" is IMO an out of date trope. Not only does 2.1
> have more than twice as many engineers working full time on it, and five
> times the QA engineers (which is cumulative with prior QA), we are also
> seeing many more users in the wild running release candidates and providing
> valuable feedback before release. This is evidenced by the fact there have
> been six release candidates, instead of just two for 2.0.

While I agree that Datastax is recently dedicating meaningful resources to
the QA side of Cassandra, I do not feel that it is controversial to say
that the QA of Cassandra as it relates to production operability has
historically been lacking. I feel much the same way about Cassandra QA that
Gandhi apocryphally felt about Western Civilization... I think it would be
a good idea.

Based on user reports and associated JIRA, the 2.0 series has been the
least stable series of Cassandra since 0.8 or so. It's wonderful that a
pre-release version has had slightly more testing than previous versions,
but IMO the proof is in the pudding. When there is an actual released
series of Cassandra in which I can recommend running a version under x.y.6
[1], I will be sure to stop linking that "trope."

=Rob
[1] (x.y.~8 for 2.0...)