cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Rodgers, Hugh" <>
Subject RE: EXTERNAL: Re: Running Cassandra Server in an OSGi container
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:34:14 GMT
What got our team on the path of trying to embed C* was the wiki page
which implies this can be done. Also WSO2 Carbon and Achilles have both embedded C* (not in
an OSGi container though, and Carbon is with an older C* version).

We are wanting an "unzip and run" system and do not expect the user to have to do much, if
any, C* configuration.

From: Robert Stupp []
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:19 PM
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Running Cassandra Server in an OSGi container

What's your intention to do this?

There are unit test integrations using C* daemon. A related bug that prevented proper shutdown
has been closed for C* 2.1-rc1:
It's perfectly fine to embed C* for unit tests.

But I'd definitely not recommend to use C* within a container in a real production environment.
Not just because of the few System.exit calls in CassandraDaemon but also of the other places
where System.exit is called for very good reasons. These reasons include system/node failure
scenarios (for example disk failures).

C* is designed to run in its own JVM process using dedicated hardware resources on multiple
servers using commodity hardware without any virtualization or any shared storage. And it
just works great with that.

There are good reasons to move computation near to the data - but that's always a separate
OS process on C* nodes. Examples are Hadoop and Spark.