cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>
Subject Re: Which way to Cassandraville?
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:11:32 GMT
Let me respond with another question: How important is SQL for a JPA developer?

Mappers eliminate the boring and error-prone stuff like "execute SELECT", "read fields", "call
setters" etc. They can automatically perform conversions, apply optimizations, etc etc etc.
Mappers do not remove the need of a developer to think about that what (s)he's coding.
IMO mappers help and make life easier. Period.

Means: you should always know what the "thing" does to read/write your data. Practically not
down to the details - but the concepts and pitfalls should be known.
If you don't you will get into trouble - sooner or later.

Robert

PS: I avoid the abbreviation ORM - it includes the term "relational" ;)

Am 22.07.2014 um 22:00 schrieb jcllings <jcllings@gmail.com>:

> OK to clarify, I don't mean as an Administrator but an application developer.  If you
use an ORM how important is CQL3?  The object being to eliminate any *QL from Java code.
> Perhaps this technology isn't as mature as I thought.
>
> Jim C.
>
> On 07/22/2014 12:42 PM, DuyHai Doan wrote:
>> "What kinds of things would it be good to know for an interview?"
>>
>>  The underlying storage engine and how CQL3 maps to it. It's more than important,
it's crucial. Knowing what you do and what you can't with CQL3 is not sufficient.