cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Compaction causing listeners to stall
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2014 00:44:59 GMT
On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 5:31 AM, Bryon Spahn <bspahn@kitedesk.com> wrote:

> FSReadError in /mnt/data/cassandra/COMPANY/crmFieldInfo/COMPANYFieldInfo-
> jb-710-Data.db

FSReadError seems relatively likely to be a problem on the underlying
filesystem, though I don't have a sec right now to grep and check.

> 08 05:00:09,126 StorageService.java (line 364) Stopping gossiper
>
> 08 05:00:09,126 StorageService.java (line 278) Stopping gossip by operator
> request

This sequence almost certainly means that the gossiper was in fact shut
down by the JBOD functionality.

> After this the listeners are no longer available but the DB does not
> officially die just hangs and needs a restart.

Other than during clean shutdown, there is no circumstance under which
Cassandra the application terminates itself within the JVM.

 tl;dr - fix your broken disk. :)

=Rob