cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Rahul Neelakantan <ra...@rahul.be>
Subject Re: Measuring WAN replication latency
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2014 01:24:09 GMT
Here is the use case ... The Cassandra ring is going to span 6 data centers. The client can
write in any data center (the client is also in 6 DCs) and turn back around and read from
any other data center for this I assume you will tell me to use each quorum for the writes,
however that is going to increase the time it takes for writes to be acknowledged.

What I am looking for is a way to monitor either using some statistic exposed by Cassandra
or using some sort of synthetic transaction of how my Cassandra replication looks and alert
if there is slowness noticed.

Rahul Neelakantan

> On Jul 29, 2014, at 8:53 PM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Rahul Neelakantan <rahul@rahul.be> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a way to measure/monitor WAN replication latency for Cassandra?
>
> No. [1]
>
> =Rob
>
> [1] There are ways to do something like this task, but you probably don't actually want
to do them. Trying to do them suggests that you are relying on WAN replication timing for
your application, which is something you almost certainly do not want to do. Why do you believe
you have this requirement?