cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Dave Brosius <dbros...@mebigfatguy.com>
Subject Re: Why is the cassandra documentation such poor quality?
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2014 15:36:48 GMT

We had a massive spam problem before we locked down the wiki, so
unfortunately that was the choice we had to make. But as stated we can
add you to the contributers list.

What is your Wiki user name?

On 2014-07-23 07:33, Peter Lin wrote:

> I've tried to contribute docs to Cassandra wiki in the past, but there's an obstacle.
>
> currently wiki.apache.org/cassandra [1] is locked down, so only commiters can edit it.
I really wish that wasn't the case, since it wastes time. the commiters are busy writing code.
Having to email a commiter and ask them to update it feels silly to me and kind of goes against
openness. Back when I was active with JMeter, we decided to leave it open so that anyone can
edit the docs.

an email to docs@datastax.com. They appreciate proposals :)

> Am 23.07.2014 um 09:10 schrieb Mark Reddy <mark.reddy@boxever.com>:
>
> Hi Kevin,
> The difference here is that the Apache Cassandra site is maintained by the community
whereas the DataStax site is maintained by paid employees with a vested interest in producing
documentation.

> With DataStax having some comprehensive docs, I guess the desire for people to maintain
the Apache site has dwindled. However, if you are interested in contributing to it and bringing
it back up to standard you can, thus is the freedom of open source.

> Mark
>
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:54 AM, Kevin Burton <burton@spinn3r.com> wrote:
>
> This document:
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations [2]
>
> … for example. Is extremely out dated… does NOT reflect 2.x releases certainly. Mentions
commands that are long since removed/deprecated.

> Instead of giving bad documentation, maybe remove this and mark it as obsolete.
> The datastax documentation… is … acceptable I guess. My main criticism there is that
a lot of it it is in their blog.

 --
http://spawgi.wordpress.com [6]
 We can do it and do it better.