cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Denning, Michael" <Michael.Denn...@kavokerrgroup.com>
Subject RE: COMMERCIAL:Re: Upgrading from 1.1.9 to 1.2.18
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:12:54 GMT
3 node cluster is in production.  It’d difficult for me to get sign off on the change control
to upgrade it.   The 6 node cluster is already stood up (in aws).  In an ideal scenario I’d
just be able to bring the data over to the new cluster.

From: Robert Coli [mailto:rcoli@eventbrite.com]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 1:53 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: COMMERCIAL:Re: Upgrading from 1.1.9 to 1.2.18

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Denning, Michael <Michael.Denning@kavokerrgroup.com<mailto:Michael.Denning@kavokerrgroup.com>>
wrote:

I'm trying to upgrade from a 3 node 1.1.9 cluster to a 6 node 1.2.18 cluster on ubuntu. Can
sstableloader be used to stream from the existing cluster to the new cluster? If so, what
that the suggested method? I keep getting the following when trying this:
http://palominodb.com/blog/2012/09/25/bulk-loading-options-cassandra

One of the caveats mentioned there is that sstableloader often does not work between major
versions.

If I were you, I would accomplish this task by dividing it in two :

1) Upgrade my 3 node cluster from 1.1.9 to 1.2.18 via rolling restart/upgradesstables.
2) Expand 3 node cluster to 6 nodes

Is there a reason you are not using this process?

=Rob

If you received this message and have reason to believe the sender did not intend to direct
it to you, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the message from your
system. This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or proprietary
information that should be read only by certain individuals. As a result, any unauthorized
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this e-mail and the information contained herein is
strictly prohibited and may constitute a violation of law. If you have any questions about
this e-mail please notify the sender immediately.