cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Parag Patel <ppa...@clearpoolgroup.com>
Subject RE: adding more nodes into the cluster
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2014 21:32:16 GMT
Couple more questions about bootstrapping

1)      Should we bootstrap all 6 nodes first and then call clean up once or should cleanup
be called after each node is bootstrapped?

2)      Is it safe to kill the cleanup call and expect it to resume the next it’s called?

Thanks,
Parag

From: Parag Patel [mailto:ppatel@clearpoolgroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:22 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: RE: adding more nodes into the cluster

Thanks rob

From: Robert Coli [mailto:rcoli@eventbrite.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:21 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Parag Patel <ppatel@clearpoolgroup.com<mailto:ppatel@clearpoolgroup.com>>
wrote:
We have a 12 node cluster with replication factor of 3 in 1 datacenter.  We want to add 6
more nodes into the cluster.  I’m trying to see what’s better bootstapping all 6 at the
same time or doing it one node at a time.

I should really write a blog post on this.

For safety, operators should generally bootstrap one node at a time. There are rare cases
in non-vnode operation where one can safely bootstrap more than one node, but in general one
should not do so.

In the future in Cassandra, you will hopefully prohibited from bootstrapping more than one
at a time, because it's a natural thing to do and Bad Stuff Can Happen.

=Rob