cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Cox, Cory (Agoda)" <Cory....@agoda.com>
Subject RE: Why is yum pulling in open JDK ?
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2014 10:24:24 GMT
I have had the same issue. Not an expert on this… but I think it is more a consequence of
the CentOS repo than cassandra rpm. The Oracle JVM packages are not available and it appears
you need to download (after accepting license) the rpm and use the rpm command to install
the package. Wget is also problematic as the url appears to be littered with other html in
the response… I had to download and scp to the box and then install Java BEFORE installing
Casandra to avoid the dependency triggering an auto install of the openjdk.

Any repo experts please jump in…

Thanks,
[Cory M Cox Signature small]
Cory Cox
Senior Database Administrator
[http://sharepoint.agoda.local/PR/Communications/Agoda%20logo%20with%20slogan.png]
a Priceline ® company

From: Wim Deblauwe [mailto:wim.deblauwe@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 13:50
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Why is yum pulling in open JDK ?

Hi,

I am very aware that Cassandra needs Java. I was just wondering why 'openjdk' is the dependency
while it is advised to use the Oracle Java.

regards,

Wim

Wim,

> openjdk

Java is a dependency of Cassandra, so if you do not have Java already installed on your computer,
yum will automatically do so. The Oracle Java JVM must be installed separately.

> dsc20, cassandra20

The first installation target is for Datastax Community version 2.0, while the latter installs
Apache Cassandra 2.0

Cheers,
--
Patricia Gorla
@patriciagorla

Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com<http://thelastpickle.com>

This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may
also be privileged or otherwise protected by copyright or other legal rules. If you have received
it by mistake please let us know by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited
to copy this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or privilege is
not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized disclosure of the message. All
messages sent to and from Agoda may be monitored to ensure compliance with company policies,
to protect the company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages may
be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.