cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Paulo Motta <pauloricard...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best practices for repair
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2014 16:32:02 GMT
I'm glad to hear the tool was useful. I just improved the project a bit,
you can check it out here:
https://github.com/pauloricardomg/cassandra-list-subranges

Now you don't need to supply start and end tokens anymore, just the node IP
address, and it will automatically fetch start and end tokens for the C*
node with that IP.

>  Thank you very much, I recompiled it with 2.0 and it works well, now I
> will try to figure out which granularity works better.
> Your example was really a boost, thanks again!
>
> Regards,
>
> Paolo
>

> Il 19/06/2014 22:42, Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes ha scritto:
>
> Hello Paolo,
>
> I just published an open source version of the "dsetool list_subranges"
> command, which will enable you to perform subrange repair as described in
> the post.
>
>  You can find the code and usage instructions here:
> https://github.com/pauloricardomg/cassandra-list-subranges
>
> Currently available for 1.2.16, but I guess that just changing the version
> on the pom.xml and recompiling it will make it work on 2.0.x.
>
>  Cheers,
>
> Paulo
>

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Jack Krupansky <jack@basetechnology.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The DataStax doc should be current best practices:
>>
>> http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/operations/ops_repair_nodes_c.html
>>
>> If you or anybody else finds it inadequate, speak up.
>>
>> -- Jack Krupansky
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Paolo Crosato
>> Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:13 AM
>> To: user@cassandra.apache.org
>> Subject: Best practices for repair
>>

>> Hi eveybody,
>>
>> we have some problems running repairs on a timely schedule. We have a
>> three node deployment, and we start repair on one node every week,
>> repairing one columnfamily by one.
>> However, when we run into the big column families, usually repair
>> sessions hangs undefinitely, and we have to restart them manually.
>>
>> The script runs commands like:
>>
>> nodetool repair keyspace columnfamily
>>
>> one by one.
>>
>> This has not been a major issue for some time, since we never delete
>> data, however we would like to sort the issue once and for all.
>>
>> Reading resources on the net, I came to the conclusion that we could:
>>
>> 1) either run a repair sessione like the one above, but with the -pr
>> switch, and run it on every node, not just on one
>> 2) or run sub range repair as described here
>> http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/advanced-repair-techniques , which
>> would be the best option.
>> However the latter procedure would require us to write some java program
>> that calls describe_splits to get the tokens to feed nodetool repair with.
>>
>> The second procedure is available out of the box only in the commercial
>> version of the opscenter, is this true?
>>
>> I would like to know if these are the current best practices for repairs
>> or if there is some other option that makes repair easier to perform,
>> and more
>> reliable that it is now.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Paolo Crosato
>>
>> --
>> Paolo Crosato
> [...]

Paulo Ricardo

--
European Master in Distributed Computing

* Royal Institute of Technology - KTH*
*Instituto Superior T├ęcnico - IST*
*http://paulormg.com <http://paulormg.com>*