cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark Greene <green...@gmail.com>
Subject Dynamic Columns in Cassandra 2.X
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 18:33:08 GMT
I'm looking for some best practices w/r/t supporting arbitrary columns. It
seems from the docs I've read around CQL that they are supported in some
capacity via collections but you can't exceed 64K in size. For my
requirements that would cause problems.

So my questions are:

1)  Is using Thrift a valid approach in the era of CQL?

2) If CQL is the best practice,  should I alter the schema at runtime when
I detect I need to do an schema mutation?

3) If I utilize CQL collections, will Cassandra page the entire thing into
the heap?

My data model is akin to a CRM, arbitrary column definitions per customer.

Cheers,
Mark