cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic Columns in Cassandra 2.X
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2014 19:12:53 GMT
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM, DuyHai Doan <doanduyhai@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Dynamic columns, as you said, are perfectly supported by CQL3 via
> clustering columns.

"Perfectly supported" seems a bit expansive as a claim. They are not quite
the same thing as actual dynamic columns and are meaningfully worse in some
cases...

http://www.edwardcapriolo.com/roller/edwardcapriolo/entry/legacy_tables

(etc.)

> 1)  Is using Thrift a valid approach in the era of CQL?

Rational people should presume that Thrift support must eventually
disappear, and plan accordingly. Despite having run Cassandra since 0.6 and
operating an existing Thrift-centric deploy, I plan to recommend that new
projects at Eventbrite examine using CQL3 as soon as I deploy 2.0, which
will probably be in mid-2015.

=Rob