cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Using Cassandra as cache
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 22:51:53 GMT
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM, DuyHai Doan <doanduyhai@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Robert: do we still need to cleanup manually snapshot when truncating ?
I remembered that on the 1.2 branch, even though the auto_snapshot param
was set to false, truncating leads to snapshot creation that forced us to
manually remove the snapshot folder on disk

Both DROP and TRUNCATE auto_snapshot by default, yes.

> Can you please explain what problems DROP/CREATE keyspace may cause?

Check JIRA, but in general currently DROP/CREATE same entity can cause
bugs. DROP/CREATE with always unique names should be fine.

> Seems like truncate working per column family and I have up to 10.

So TRUNCATE all 10?

> Can working RF=2 and CL=ANY result in any problem with consistency? I am
not sure I can have problems with consistency if I don't do updates, only
writes and reads. Can I?

CL=ANY is a problem with consistency. Wherever you read the instruction to
consider ever using it for any reason, strongly consider never visiting
that site again.

RF=2 means you can't use QUORUM without using CL.ALL. Not being able to use
QUORUM can result in consistency problems. Using CL.ALL results in
availability problems.

=Rob