cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>
Subject Re: Can I call getBytes on a text column to get the raw (already encoded UTF8)
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 07:21:25 GMT
You can use getBytesUnsafe on the UTF8 column

--
Sent from my iPhone

> Am 24.06.2014 um 09:13 schrieb Olivier Michallat <olivier.michallat@datastax.com>:
>
> Assuming we're talking about the DataStax Java driver:
>
> getBytes will throw an exception, because it validates that the column is of type BLOB.
But you can use getBytesUnsafe:

>     ByteBuffer b = row.getBytesUnsafe("aTextColumn");
>     // if you want to check it:
>     Charset.forName("UTF-8").decode(b);
>
> Regarding whether this will continue working in the future: from the driver's perspective,
the fact that the native protocol uses UTF-8 is an implementation detail, but I doubt this
will change any time soon.

>> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 7:23 AM, DuyHai Doan <doanduyhai@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good idea, bytes are merely processed by the server so you're saving a lot of Cpu.
AFAIK getBytes should work fine.

>> Le 24 juin 2014 05:50, "Kevin Burton" <burton@spinn3r.com> a écrit :
>>
>>> I'm building a webservice whereby I read the data from cassandra, then write
it over the wire.

>>> It's going to push LOTS of content, and encoding/decoding performance has really
bitten us in the future.  So I try to avoid transparent encoding/decoding if I can avoid it.

>>> So right now, I have a huge blob of text that's a 'text' column.
>>>
>>> Logically it *should* be text, because that's what it is...
>>>
>>> Can I just keep it as text so our normal tools work on it, but get it as raw
UTF8 if I call getBytes?

>>> This way I can call getBytes and then send it right over the wire as pre-encoded
UTF8 data.