cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Johan Edstrom <seij...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Object mapper for CQL
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2014 03:10:58 GMT
So - you deduced that we were not using the driver,
were not datstax friendly and we'd be paying for this down the road?

On Jun 8, 2014, at 9:05 PM, Colin <colpclark@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wasn't responding as a Datastax employee.
>
> I have used hector, Achilles and a few others as well.  The .net drivers used to have
an edge, but that is evaporating as well.

> I have also built my own mapping layers.
>
> But all if that was when the drivers from Datastax weren't there yet.
>
> Yes, I work for Datastax.  I also speak at meetups, and contribute to the community.

> Datastax doesn't  charge for the drivers by the way.
>
> I have seen folks use third party drivers and end up paying for it down the road.
>
> If you're going to consider using a community driver, then I would recommend something
that wraps the Datastax drivers, like netflix does.

> All I am saying is that sometimes, people make using Casaandra more complex than it needs
to be and end up introducing a lot of new tech in their initial adoption-this increases the
risk of the project.

> Also, I wouldn't use anything built on thrift.  Datastax has a growing driver team, a
growing focus on testing and certification, and if you end up wanting support for your project
and are using an unsupported driver, it can make your life more difficult.

get paid for it, and it's not part of my job. Having close to 5 years of production experience
with Cassandra means that I have made all the mistakes out there and probably invented a few
of my own.

> I have watched a lot if the questions Kevin has asked-his project is ambitious for a
first dip into Cassandra, I want to see him succeed, and have given him the same advice I
give our customers.
> --
> Colin
> 320-221-9531
>

>> On Jun 8, 2014, at 9:43 PM, Jeff Genender <jgenender@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Comments in line...
>>
>>> On Jun 8, 2014, at 8:05 PM, Colin <colpclark@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would check out spring Cassandra-most of the java drivers out there for Cassandra
offer very little over the new 2. driver from Datastax.  Or just use the java driver 2. as
is.

>> Interesting… answer came within 7 minutes… from a vendor (Datastax employee)…
and terribly opinionated without data to back up… I’m just sayin… ;-)

>> Colin… did you even look at the driver referenced by Johan?  If so, thats certainly
is the fastest code review and driver test I have ever seen. ;-)

>> Perhaps a bit more kindness may be more appropriate?  Not a great way to build contributions
from the community...

>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> Whatever you do, make sure the driver you use supports CQL 3 and the native protocol.
 Thrift, like BOP, will most likely go away at some point in the future.

>> Read what Johan stated… “hecate-cql3” <— CQL 3
>>
>> I think a nice look at what was produced may be a good thing for the community and
maybe even Datastax may think its kinda cool?

>> Jeff Genender
>> Apache Member
>> http://www.apache.org
>>

>>> --
>>> Colin
>>> 320-221-9531

SchemaIdentifier

: https://github.com/doanduyhai/Achilles

Ideally I would just run a query and get back a POJO.

the schema?  is the schema generated from the POJOs ?  From a side file?