cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jan Algermissen <jan.algermis...@nordsc.com>
Subject Re: Ordering of schema updates and data modifications
Date Sun, 18 May 2014 19:27:32 GMT

On 18 May 2014, at 10:30, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@nordsc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in our project, we apparently have a problem or misunderstanding of the relationship
between schema changes and data updates.

> One team is doing automated tests during build and deployment that executes data migration
tests on a development cluster. In those migrations there will be schema changes (adding rows)
and subsequent data insertions involving these rows.

> It seems, there are unpredictable times when the update reaches the cluster *before*
the schema change, causing the tests to fail.

> What can we do to enforce the schema update to have sufficiently happened before the
modification is hitting the database?

> Alternatively, what do others do to handle schema migrations during continuous delivery
processes.

Surprisingly difficult to find, but here is an example of how to use ‘describe cluster’
to check schema propagation:

http://www.datastax.com/support-forums/topic/schema-versions-disagree#post-7055

Jan