cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy.hanna1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What % of cassandra developers are employed by Datastax?
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 15:13:17 GMT
Of the 16 active committers, 8 are not at DataStax.  See http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Committers.
 That said, active involvement varies and there are other contributors inside DataStax and
in the community.  You can look at the dev mailing list as well to look for involvement in
more detail.

On 16 May 2014, at 10:28, Janne Jalkanen <Janne.Jalkanen@ecyrd.com> wrote:

> Don’t know, but as a potential customer of DataStax I’m also concerned at the fact
that there does not seem to be a competitor offering Cassandra support and services. All innovation
seems to be occurring only in the OSS version or DSE(*).  I’d welcome a competitor for DSE
- it does not even have to be so well-rounded ;-)

> (DSE is really cool, and I think DataStax is doing awesome work. I just get uncomfortable
when there’s a SPoF - that’s why I’m running Cassandra in the first place ;-)

> ((So yes, you, exactly you who is reading this and thinking of starting a company around
Cassandra, pitch me when you have a product.))

> (((* Yes, Netflix is open sourcing a lot of Cassandra stuff, but I don’t think they’re
planning to pivot.)))

> /Janne
>
> On 14 May 2014, at 23:39, Kevin Burton <burton@spinn3r.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious what % of cassandra developers are employed by Datastax?
>>
>> … vs other companies.
>>
>> When MySQL was acquired by Oracle this became a big issue because even though you
can't really buy an Open Source project, you can acquire all the developers and essentially
do the same thing.