cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Terje Marthinussen <tmarthinus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Disable FS journaling
Date Tue, 20 May 2014 16:24:05 GMT
Journal enabled is faster on almost all operations.

Recovery here is more about saving you from waiting 1/2 hour from a traditional full file
system check.

Feel free to wait if you want though! :)

Regards,
Terje

> On 21 May 2014, at 01:11, Paulo Ricardo Motta Gomes <paulo.motta@chaordicsystems.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the links!
>
> Forgot to mention, using XFS here, as suggested by the Cassandra wiki. But just double
checked and it's apparently not possible to disable journaling on XFS.

> One of ours sysadmin just suggested disabling journaling, since it's mostly for recovery
purposes, and Cassandra already does that pretty well with commitlog, replication and anti-entropy.
It would anyway be nice to know if there could be any performance benefits from it. But I
personally don't think it would help much, due to the append-only nature of cassandra writes.

>> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Michael Shuler <michael@pbandjelly.org> wrote:
>>> On 05/20/2014 09:54 AM, Samir Faci wrote:
>>> I'm not sure you'd be gaining much by doing this.  This is probably
>>> dependent on the file system you're referring to when you say
>>> journaling.  There's a few of them around,
>>>
>>> You could opt to use ext2 instead of ext3/4 in the unix world.  A quick
>>> google search linked me to this:
>>
>> ext2/3 is not a good choice for file size limitation and performance reasons.
>>
>> I started to search for a couple links, and a quick check of the links I posted a
couple years ago seem to still be interesting  ;)