cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <>
Subject Re: What % of cassandra developers are employed by Datastax?
Date Sat, 17 May 2014 15:45:57 GMT
I would note that the original question was about “developers”, not “committers” per
se. I sort of assumed that the question implied the latter, but that’s not necessarily true.
One can “develop” and optionally “contribute” code without being a committer, per
se. There are probably plenty of users of Cassandra out there who do their own enhancement
of Cassandra and don’t necessarily want or have the energy to contribute back their enhancements,
or intend to and haven’t gotten around to it yet. And there are also “contributors”
who have “developed” and “contributed” patches (ANYBODY can do that, not just “committers”)
but are not officially anointed as “committers”.

So, who knows how many contributors or “developers” are out there beyond the known committers.
The important thing is that Cassandra is open source and licensed so that any enterprise can
use it and readily and freely debug and enhance it without any sort of mandatory requirement
that they be completely dependent on some particular vendor.

There’s actually a wiki detailing some of the other vendors, beyond DataStax, who provide
consulting (which may include actual Cassandra enhancement in some cases) and support for

(For disclosure, I am a part-time contractor for DataStax, but now on the sales side, although
by background is as a developer.)

-- Jack Krupansky

From: Dave Brosius
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2014 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: What % of cassandra developers are employed by Datastax?

The question assumes that it's likely that datastax employees become committers.

Actually, it's more likely that committers become datastax employees.

So this underlying tone that datastax only really 'wants' datastax employees to be cassandra
committers, is really misleading.

Why wouldn't a company want to hire people who have shown a desire and aptitude to work on
products that they care about? It's just rational. And damn genius, actually.

I'm sure they'd be happy to have an influx of non-datastax committers. patches welcome.