cassandra-user mailing list archives

From James Campbell <ja...@breachintelligence.com>
Subject RE: CQL 3 and wide rows
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 15:30:37 GMT
Maciej,

In CQL3 "wide rows" are expected to be created using clustering columns.  So while the schema
will have a relatively smaller number of named columns, the effect is a wide row.  For example:

CREATE TABLE keyspace.widerow (

row_key text,

wide_row_column text,

data_column text,

PRIMARY KEY (row_key, wide_row_column));

Check out, for example, http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/schema-in-cassandra-1-1.?

James

________________________________
From: Maciej Miklas <mac.miklas@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 11:20 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: CQL 3 and wide rows

Hi *,

I've checked DataStax driver code for CQL 3, and it looks like the column names for particular
table are fully loaded into memory, it this true?

Cassandra should support wide rows, meaning tables with millions of columns. Knowing that,
I would expect kind of iterator for column names. Am I missing something here?

Regards,
Maciej Miklas