cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jon Forrest <>
Subject Installing Datastax Cassandra 1.2.15 Using Yum (Java Issue)
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 20:29:49 GMT
I'm using Oracle Java 7 on a CentOS 6.5 system.
Running 'java -version' works correctly and shows
I'm running Oracle Java. I don't want to use OpenJDK.
This is good since I notice that the Datastax
documentation in several places says to install
Oracle Java, not OpenJDK.

I want to install Datastax Cassandra 1.2.15 using Yum.
I added the Datastax repository and then ran

yum install dsc12-1.2.10-1 cassandra12-1.2.10-1

Guess what! Yum tries to install java-1.7.0-openjdk !
This is in spite of the fact that a) I already have Oracle
Java installed, and b) the docs say not to install

It appears that the Datastax rpm file is violating its
own documentation. What am I doing wrong? How to other
people get around this problem? Is it worth somehow
rebuilding the rpm so that it's not dependent on OpenJDK
or is installing from a tarball the only way to resolve

Thanks for any advice.

Jon Forrest

The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which
it is addressed, and may contain material confidential to Xoom Corporation, and/or its subsidiary, Inc. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from your files.

View raw message