cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Sholes, Joshua" <>
Subject One of my nodes is in the wrong datacenter - help!
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2014 18:48:45 GMT

I had a node in my 8-node production 1.2.8 cluster have a serious problem and need to be removed
and rebuilt.   However, after doing nodetool removenode and then bootstrapping a new node
on the same IP address, the new node somehow ended up with a different datacenter name (the
rest of the nodes are in dc $NAME, and the new one is in dc $NAME6934724 — as in, a string
of seemingly random numbers appended to the correct name).   How can I force it to change
DC names back to what it should be?

I’m working with 500+GB per node here so bootstrapping it again is not a huge issue, but
I’d prefer to avoid it anyway.  I am NOT able to change the node’s IP address at this
time so I’m stuck with bootstrapping a new node in the same place, which my gut feeling
tells me might be part of the problem.

Any insight anyone can give me is highly appreciated.

Josh Sholes

View raw message