cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Warning about copying and pasting from datastax configuration page: weird characters in config
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 01:16:19 GMT
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Andy Losey <andrew@addthis.com> wrote:

> I think the issue you're running into is the same reason not to compose a
> script or config file in notepad. Without using a true text editor (vi), or
> relying on copy and past, you're very likely to introduce non visible
> formatting characters, as you see with you paragraph symbols. Trusting code
> right off a webpage isn't going to always be WYSIWYG.

I think that technical docs should generally be assumed to be safely
cut-and-pasteable; problems encountered when cut and pasting them should,
IMO, be fixed.

There was a related issue previously where datastax doc software CMS was
turning "--" into emdashes. It's likely that they are not aware of cases
(mobile, etc.) in which edge cases like this are occurring. They are,
however, very helpful people and very responsive when contacted. I have
added them (docs a t datastax d o t com) to the bcc: on this thread for
their information.

Docs guys - for context, read here :
http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg34631.html

=Rob