cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tyler Hobbs <>
Subject Re: cold_reads_to_omit and tombstones
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:14:27 GMT
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM, David Chia <> wrote:

> It's not clear to me in the doc about cold_reads_to_omit. when
> cold_reads_to_omit ignores low read rate sstables during compactions, what
> would gc tombstones in those cold sstables?

If those tombstones apply to data that you're reading, then the sstable
that holds them will be read.  If there are enough of these reads, the
sstable will get compacted.

> Do we rely on tombstone compactions, which, I might misconfigured, I've
> never seen tombstone compactions got kicked off?

We don't rely on tombstone compactions, but yes, they are one way that cold
sstables may get compacted.

Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <>

View raw message