Perhaps a log structured database with immutable data files is not best suited for this use case?

Perhaps not, but I have other data structures I’m moving to Cassandra as well. This is just the first. Cassandra has actually worked quite well for this first step, in spite of it not being an optimal tool for this use case. And, I have to say that records being modified a thousand times is an extreme case. Most of my data is far less volatile (perhaps dozens of times).

I greatly appreciate all the information contributed to this mailing list. It’s a great resource.

Robert